Wednesday, 28 July 2010

July 28, 2010

Another summer day passing. Life is busy with lot's of the non-fun, non-sewing stuff, like  work....
I am dreaming of stitching and sewing machines and fabric and colour and a stack of wonderful finished gifts for people I love.
...I'll be back!

Wednesday, 14 July 2010

Giveaway...

Visit the Quilting Garden and help celebrate 5000 posts. She is sweet.

And yes, I am still guiltily but slowly making the wonderful Wall hanging I promised my Giveaway Winner. Since she was lucky enough (a point of view I guess) to be someone I know in the real live world I am making it special to her as well.  Patience is a virtue.....


Teaser: In a few days I will share my fun Featherweight story. I am picking her up from the repair shop on Friday.

Monday, 12 July 2010

In progress

Two projects are on the work table this week. There are more projects in the work basket but let's be happy with the progress so far. {the orange quilt is closer to the work surface now.}

I finally started cutting and stitching the red and purple quilt.  (Please forgive the hazey colours in this photo - it is really very rich in hue and tone.) Here is strip #1. There will be 4 more strips. This strip is  18 1/2" wide by 104" long. The quilt should be approximately 90" wide by 102" long when completed.

This quilt is for DD#1. It is inspired by a photo she saw in a magazine in 2005. It was in the background of the photo so I have no way of actually giving any credit to the designer who created the original. I only looked at the picture for a few minutes. I could even be way off base and this may look nothing like the one in the photo but this is very much the one that is in my head.



The table topper was made with the Tuesday Night Bag Ladies. It needs sandwiching and quilting. I had purchased this fabric (only) last year to make place mats for our new home. I guess we are closer to having them ready too now.

The table topper is 25" across.

Saturday, 10 July 2010

and making jam (not just quilting)

 


plus (with some help from my honey)


equals


(P.S. FYI,  although I do work for the maker of the Garden Fare gelling powder for making freezer jam, I use the product to make over 50 jars of jam a year because my family really likes the taste of fresh fruit jam)

Wednesday, 7 July 2010

The photo-print results on Fabric Postcards (Part 2)


Here is the result of last month's photo printing. The recipe worked well although it dried with some crystallization. I  scraped the crystallized areas before I printed but I guess some remained. The ink did not print through the crystals but this did give a nice effect to the images. My plan was to machine embroider the outlines of some of the greenery, the waterfall and the bridge then sew glass beads on where the sunlight would shimmer.

(This is the scene from BC, September 2005)

I am pretty happy with the results. What I would do differently is to make sure that there are no crystal residues on the fabric so that the whole image is sharp. There was very little fading after washing. My printer though was not so happy. 9 postcard sized images used up half of the ink in my cartridges which I think is a very expensive proposition. It took a while to convince the Epson that I did not have a paper jam when I wanted to use it again.  I probably would pay for the photo-printing on fabric at a shop after I am done playing with my solution.
                                      
(This is a photo taken at the Guelph Butterfly Conservatory in June 2009)

I also made a bookmark for a swap, using one of the fabric photo-prints.  

 refer to Part 1