The end of the Long Weekend, beginning of a new year

Today I spent the better part of 7 hours at the sewing machine but
really only managed 3 1/2 hours of productive quilting. I really fought
with the Brother for 4 hours. I changed needles (twice), cleaned and
oiled it, re-threaded multiple times, changed threads and regardless of
my remedies the thread shredded every inch of free motion. I managed 3
of these Free Motion flowers yesterday with no problem but today... NOT.

So I moved over to the Lily and tried to see how she would do at this game. And she did wonderfully, enough so that I finished the other 22 free motion flowers and also did a doodle of hearts strung together on the border. I stitched on the binding so that Lyla can tack it down on the back. There are threads to clean up and maybe even 1 or 2 of the flowers to tidy but all in all Grace's Mazey Daze quilt is complete for me. One more item off "the list". I can now add one more thing to "the list".

I will start quilting the Fun with Bricks scrappy quilt next.

My magical Amaryllis story:

Last winter I purchased an Amaryllis package from Sam's Club because it came with a nice looking pottery vase and not the little 4" plastic pot that tipped over whenever you so much as looked its way. The instructions said to pour 1 1/2 cups of water into the top and leave it alone. I did, on January whatever it was, and it grew. A beautiful red multi-bloomed amaryllis. I know that when the leaves finally die back you cut them, put it into the fridge for "wintering" and then in December you can coax it to grow again. There is little magic in that. The MAGIC is that the plant never needed to be watered again. I finally cut the leaves back in August and have put it in the fridge but it had never been watered since that original 1 1/2 cups of water in January. AMAZING, it just kept growing and growing. This is a photo that I took just before I cut it down to the top of the vase a couple of weeks ago .



Enjoy the start of the new year...

Comments

  1. Don't you hate it when the machine doesn't want to work today?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year to you, too. I love amaryllis. I used to live in a house that had a lot of them growing in the garden. The flowers were called pink ladies. And they could tolerate the hot weather.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to visit!