Tuesday, 3 November 2009

Orphan Blocks into Placmats

Once upon a time there was a swap. 12 inch, green themed blocks. We would each make 12, or was it 16 blocks and they would be swapped at a central location.
Sometimes swap participation stretches to the extent of my gambling comfort zone, I will end up with something though, no matter what (unless the postal system fails me). In any case, about 6 years ago, or more I received a bundle (7) of green and white blocks, and I had another bundle (9) of my own twisted log cabin blocks - we ended up with only 8 swappers. The only problem was that the blocks were so dissimilar I could not imagine them ever being together in a single quilt - and I love anything green.
I have pillaged this stack for various smaller projects over the years, this week I may well decimate it. I want to make a set of 8 place mats to take as my "party favours" for my weekend away. These will end up as a set of 8, but rather each will go home with a friend.
I have pulled out some complimentary fabrics and we shall see how it goes. This is the "before" photo:

************************************************************************************
Gratuitous rainbow image. About 5 minutes and 4 miles down the road I could see the far end of it. Today I had time to pull over and take pictures with my BB (I actually stopped 5 times) of the brilliant sun and dark clouds facing off.


(as always here, these images are clickable so you can see them full screen)

3 comments :

  1. How appropriate that the "orphans" will find new homes.
    I think using them to make small gifts/party favours is a fabulous idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a terrific idea for orphan blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. GREAT idea!! Now something else to do with some leftover blocks, waiting for a home.
    Please take a photo of the placemats when they are done.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit!