Monday, 8 March 2010

Sunshine and promise of spring

A few wonderful days of sunshine, the temperatures rose above freezing and people were smiling. We visited the Stratford Garden Festival. Definately the promise of spring - seeds. We have a fresh pallette this year and so we are planning our vegetable garden and some flower gardens.
My last 10 years gardening has been a struggle against an insidious lawn. It was more of "I fought the lawn and the lawn won" story than a gardener's delight. I have had great success in the long ago past. The house on Delaware Street had a beautiful back garden. It felt like an outdoor room long before this became the trend-word. We benefitted by having a well-defined small space and raised beds.
That little yard became a wonderful floral haven. This success was hard-earned. I tilled the soil nearly 8" deep and let nearly every bit of that soil went through my fingers as I removed rocks and weeds.
I'll try to find some pictures of these past attempts as we try to bring colour to this little pocket of the world.

2 comments :

  1. you'll have to let me know about shows like this - we always went to them in Halifax, but don't know about them here yet! this sun is wonderful - my bedsheets are hanging on the line!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:25 pm

    yes! scan in some delaware street backyard pictures. I miss the gladiolas and other great flowers from those days.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit!