A few years ago a friend asked if I could "make a wall hanging or something" with some fabrics that her daughter had purchased on a trip to Australia. I took on the challenge, provided she was fine with it being a few years for me to find the time.
It is however now complete, This is the final view, along with the pattern I based my quilt on. Each time that I looked at the prints I envisaged something labyrinthine. I knew the prints very well, and on a quilt shop stop I saw this pattern BQ by Maple Island Quilts I thought I found a winner.
Over the last couple of years I played with multiple designs but in the end, they were all so similar to variations of the BQ pattern. So I decided to use that , and adapt the sizing to fit the pieces of fabric in the kit (11" wide).
For quilting, I repeated the geometric Quarter Square but randomly added 1 squiggly line of quilting in each block. No matter how carefully a journey is planned, there are curves along the way; and this is usually fortuitous.
What did I start with:
Six 11" (30 CM) wide strips of prints based on Aboriginal Art
I have not been to Australia personally, but from those who have been there the outstanding memories that they share are Ayres Rock, the vastness and wanting to go "Walkabout". The adventures shared have been wonderful - somewhat mystical, self realization and serendipity. That is what I wanted to convey here.
Best of all, it is a perfect quilt... why... because DONE is perfect!!!!